Monday, 11 July 2011

The campaign begins

The Force on Force Malikastan campaign started on Sunday with the first round of the campaign being completed with one mission.  Unfortunately the UN forces fell back losing the fight.

WEEK1 – The insurgency begins

Following the ambush of a relief convoy (Brisbane Muster), which resulted in several seriously wounded UN soldiers, Major Mooney, after much consideration, formulated an aggressive week of patrolling.  Platoon-strength patrols were sent to the two northern towns where the presence of insurgents had been identified through HUMINT.  Furthermore, a section and a sniper team were sent south across the river to advance to contact with a small insurgent group.

‘B’ Platoon, mounted in APCs, advanced along the main supply route (MSR) and reached Azmakassar without incident.  The reported insurgents were not discovered and the platoon returned to the FOB, though by a circuitous route due to the fighting in Rahthkabir along the MSR.
The patrol south of the river found the area devoid of insurgents, though they reported several “people of interest”.

‘A’ Platoon, on foot, followed ‘B’ platoon along MSR, they left the road and advanced into Rahthkabir from the south.  Platoon ‘A’ consisted of a section of US Marines and a section of US Marine snipers, and supported by a two section of French to make up numbers.  Though one fire team of the 2nd French section was incapacitated after indulging in some stewed local goat.  The UN forces advanced through the town until they reached the main road, the French on the left flank and the US on the right.  The US quickly spotted and identified the insurgents across the main road and opened fire.  The insurgents facing the French were, however, a wily lot and the French battled to spot the enemy and when they did could not confirm if they were civilians or hostiles.

US fire first suppressed and then destroyed the insurgents across the road, but the insurgent dead were soon replaced by what appeared to be a never ending flood of reinforcements.  The UN commanders were soon lamenting the lack of air or artillery support.  The battle soon changed to a desperate struggle to keep suicide bombers at bay, three foot mobile suicide bombers were killed before  a car laden with explosives rammed into the front doors of the building held by the US Marines, the heavy fire on the car resulted in it crashing and only partially exploding.  The United Nation’s force breathed a sigh of relief as the soldiers dusted themselves off with only minor injuries.

Unfortunately, this was not the end of the ordeal, insurgent fired 107mm rockets smashed into the main street sending shrapnel and shockwaves through the surrounding buildings; as a result a marine succumbed to his wounds before he could be evacuated.  The United Nation’s then decided to pullback, but just at that moment tragedy struck the French, they opened fire on a large team of insurgents and in the process exposed themselves, a RPG smashed into the front of the building killing two of the section’s men.

Taking up their casualties the UN forces withdrew from Rahthkabir, followed only by considerable celebratory shooting from within the town.  UN after action reports estimated that as many as 30 insurgents were killed during the operation.  Local HUMINT, however, put the number at five, though the local clinic contained a dozen men with gunshot wounds that were received “during celebratory fire at a wedding”.  Reports that the insidious insurgent commander Al Rajul ‘Umla was behind the defense of Rahthkabir have as yet to be confirmed.

Company Commander (Major M. Mooney)
Platoon ‘A’ (Lt. B. Blacksoil, US) 1KIA 1WIA
Platoon ‘B’ (Lt. M. Moolah, UK) -
Platoon ‘C’ (Lt. K. Pierre, FRA) - 2KIA
Platoon ‘D’ -
INSURGENTS: Lost four teams.

The situation at the beginning of the campaign:

No comments:

Post a Comment